Simple Tips for Fresh Holiday Wreaths and Greenery
Filling your home with the beauty and fresh smell of greenery is one of the best ways to celebrate the season! Here are a few tips from our gardens team for keeping your greenery fresh and green throughout the season:
- When you get your greenery home, remove it from the plastic bag as soon as possible. The foliage can deteriorate rapidly when left in the plastic too long.
- Place your fresh greenery outdoors in a cool, shaded area until you are ready to put it out or take it indoors. Direct sun and dry indoor air will cause the greenery to naturally dry out, so put your fresh décor out as late as possible, right before you want it to look its best.
- Re-cutting the tips of the branches and twigs and placing them in water will help the greenery absorb moisture more rapidly.
- Misting your greenery with water will help keep it greener longer.
- You can also use an anti-desiccant spray. This product coats the foliage with a waxy coating which slows down water loss in the leaves or needles. You can find these organic products online or at your local garden center.
- Always play it safe and keep your greenery away from open flames.
Fill your home with greenery from our Holiday Wreath and Greenery Market at Victorian Holiday.
Shop wreaths, garlands, and other fresh-cut greenery at this year’s Holiday Wreath and Greenery Market at Victorian Holiday, Saturday and Sunday, December 4 and 5, from 11:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.
- Our beautiful North Carolina-sourced Fraser fir wreaths as well as magnolia, holly, and mixed greenery bundles are currently available for presale online, and we will have them ready for pickup at the market.
- We will once again feature beautifully potted Amaryllis, Oakland’s own miniature eastern red cedar seedlings, and many other one-of-a-kind potted beauties. All of these will be topped off with sheet moss and adorned with bows and our Oakland gardens gift tags, ready for giving or to brighten your own home!
- Make sure to visit the Embellishment Tent, where for a small donation to Historic Oakland Foundation, you can have one of our design team members add artisanal beauty and depth to your wreath or garland, creating for you that one-of-a-kind piece.
Back by popular demand: Our Designer Wreath Throwdown, where our favorite design team members challenge one another to decorate the most beautiful and interesting wreaths in the ATL! You can vote for your favorite, and you can purchase them as well!
Your purchases will support Oakland Cemetery’s gardens.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from Historic Oakland Foundation’s gardens team!