- This event has passed.
Virtual Photography Workshop
July 23, 2020 @ 7:00 pm - September 17, 2020 @ 8:30 pm
This workshop is now sold out. Thanks for your interest and support!
Rich in subjects and scenes, historic Oakland Cemetery is a photographer’s dream setting. Develop your camera skills with a five-part virtual workshop series from Historic Oakland Foundation!
Historic Oakland Foundation is launching a new virtual photography workshop series. Led by photographers Ren Davis and Clay Fisher, this series of five classes will explore different photography genres with hands-on instruction. Whether you are a seasoned photographer or still learning the basics of your camera, you will discover tips and techniques to improve your skills during each 90-minute class. Classes will be held live via Zoom, and recordings will be made available for later viewing by registrants.
1. Getting the Most Out of Your Camera. Thursday, July 23, 7 – 8:30 p.m.
- This workshop will explore camera settings and composition rules. Gain a better understanding of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO and how different adjustments can give you the perfect exposure. We’ll also examine different composition principles and discuss the best lens for your photos.
2. Landscape and Scenic Photography. Thursday, August 6, 7 – 8:30 p.m.
- Get the insight on photographing greenscapes, gardens, and architecture from Oakland experts. This class will explore depth of field, focal points, exposure, tripod use, and perspective. Learn about how different camera technologies can improve your outdoor images.
3. Macro Photography. Thursday, August 20, 7 – 8:30 p.m.
- There’s beauty in the details. Learn all about close-up and macro focusing, composition, depth-of-field, lighting, lenses, and filters in this detail-oriented workshop.
4. People: Environmental Portraiture, Gatherings, and Events. Thursday, September 3, 7 – 8:30 p.m.
- Whether you are photographing posed portraits or capturing candids, photographing people can be hard. This workshop will examine composition, lighting, filters, capturing action, and getting permissions.
5. Beyond the Ordinary: Time-Lapse, Long Exposure, Night Photography, and More. Thursday, September 17, 7 – 8:30 p.m.
- Learn a few tips and tricks to take your images from ordinary to extraordinary. We’ll learn about edge of day, time-lapse, night photography, long exposures, soft-focus, creative filters, and much more!
Register for each class individually for $15 per class or sign up for the entire series for $70. The full series registration will also include a 90-minute guided walk through Oakland Cemetery to be held this fall. All proceeds benefit the restoration of Oakland Cemetery. Scroll to the bottom of this page or visit Eventbrite.com to register.
Meet your guides: Ren Davis and Clay Fisher
Ren Davis’s travel writing and photography have appeared in such places as the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Georgia Magazine, and Atlanta Magazine. He is co-author, with Helen Davis, of several books including Georgia Walks, Atlanta Walks, and Atlanta’s Oakland Cemetery: An Illustrated History and Guide (Georgia).
Clay Fisher enjoys photographing a variety of subjects including people, nature, architecture, landscapes, rural areas, and other themes. His favorite form of photography is nature and travel, which has taken him to a number of U.S. National Parks, Georgia State Parks, and National Forests. His body of work captures the diversity, complexity, and reverence often overlooked by the human eye within these natural places. His work has been exhibited at the GA. State Capitol, galleries, juried exhibitions, various businesses throughout Georgia & Tennessee and published in newspapers and magazines.