- This event has passed.
Holiday Tour of Eternal Homes at Victorian Holiday
December 14, 2019 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Get in the spirit of the season and explore a few of Oakland’s magnificent mausoleums on the Holiday Tour of Eternal Homes during Victorian Holiday! Led by a Victorian guide, this walking tour takes you on a “behind-the-stones” look at several of the cemetery’s mausoleums. Learn about these iconic stone structures while listening to the stories of the Oakland residents buried within. You will have the chance step inside each mausoleum and building, which are all decorated for the holidays by local artists and designers.
Select your tour time when you purchase your ticket. The first tour is at 10:00 a.m. and the last tour will start at 3:00 p.m. Tours are every 15 minutes and are approximately 75 minutes in length.
The Holiday Tour of Eternal Homes is available with advance ticketing only. Spaces are limited. Tours will leave from the Out in the Rain fountain (next to Oakland’s Bell Tower). Please note that as a historic site, some areas of Oakland Cemetery have uneven paths and are not ADA-accessible.
The 3:00 tour will feature a special accessible route through Oakland Cemetery. Perfect for visitors with mobility needs, the 3:00 tour route will take flat and smooth pathways that are accessible for wheelchairs and strollers. We will also have three open golf cart seats available on a first come, first served basis for those with mobility issues. Please email Marcy Breffle at email@example.com to reserve your seat.
The tour is available through advance ticketing only and spaces are limited.
- Adults: $18
- Child (6-17) and Seniors (65+): $14
- Historic Oakland Foundation members: $10 (Membership will be verified after ticket purchase)
This is a light rain or shine event. If there is inclement weather, Victorian Holiday will be rescheduled for Sunday, December 15. Ticket holders will receive an email by 7:00 am on Saturday, December 14 if the program is rescheduled.
Please note that not all areas of Historic Oakland Cemetery are wheelchair accessible. Please use your discretion when planning your tour visit and contact us if you have any questions about accessibility.
Other Victorian Holiday Events
Before and after your tour, you will have a chance to enjoy holiday festivities around Oakland’s Bell Tower, which are ongoing from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Those attending the final tour at 3:00 p.m. may want to arrive early to enjoy the sights and sounds of Victorian Holiday before the tour.
- Visit our Holiday Artist’s Market to shop for unique and handmade gifts from local artists. Holiday artist market vendors include Lilyknit Creations, Statuary Accoutrements, Clay Fisher Photo Images, Unique Vintages, Avantii Design Studio, Under the Slab, and Bee City USA Decatur, Georgia (our community partner).
- Bring a piece of Oakland home for the holidays! Handmade wreaths, holiday greenery, and bows are available for sale outside of the Bell Tower during Victorian Holiday. We will also feature ongoing demonstrations of ways to embellish wreaths and other decorations with garden greenery
- Holiday music performances by local youth music programs
- Enjoy a reading of The Night Before Christmas (at 11:00, 12:00, 1:00, 2:00, and 3:00 p.m.).
- Don’t miss out on an opportunity to meet jolly Saint Nicholas and Mrs. Claus!
- Baked goods and hot drinks
Complimentary parking is available in the lot located just outside of Oakland’s main gates at the intersection of Oakland Avenue and Martin Luther King Jr. Drive. Limited parking is also available on nearby side streets adjacent to Oakland Cemetery.