Sunday in the Park at Oakland Cemetery
September 29 @ 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Back before cities built public parks, people would bring a picnic basket and some musical instruments (and maybe a few adult libations) to the local cemetery and revere the dead by celebrating life in what was often one of the only patches of public space in town.
Our FREE annual Sunday in the Park event, now in its 41st year, hails from this tradition. On September 29, explore how the Cemetery, surrounding neighborhoods, and the city have changed over time and celebrate the local communities that make Oakland what it is today.
Frequently Asked Questions
Admission to Sunday in the Park is completely FREE. All donations received during the event will be put towards Historic Oakland Foundation’s mission to preserve, restore, enhance, and share Oakland Cemetery.
What about my bike?
Both gates of Oakland Cemetery have bike racks.
Can I bring a picnic?
Unfortunately, because this is a City of Atlanta permitted event no outside food or drink are permitted during Sunday in the Park?
What is Sunday in the Park?
Sunday in the Park is Oakland Cemetery’s annual Fall festival that celebrates the history of Oakland—and Atlanta—and the Victorian tradition of spending a day of leisure in the Cemetery.
What’s happening throughout the afternoon?
- Living history performances are happening throughout the cemetery all afternoon
- Free tours will be leaving from the Out in the Rain Fountain every 15 minutes
- Author talks and book signings at the Visitor Center
- Performances by the Atlanta Opera
- Music at the Lion Square stage
- Historical Costume Contest at Lion Square Stage
- Performance by Big Bethel Heaven Bound Choir
- The Children’s Zone at Lion Square
- The Artists Market at North Public Grounds
- Food trucks at Lion Square
- Pop-up performers and buskers around the cemetery
- More than twenty mausolea are open for the public to see
For a full schedule and specific performance times check out the event signs around Oakland Cemetery during the event
Where do proceeds from Historic Oakland Foundation’s events go?
All proceeds from Sunday in the Park are put towards Historic Oakland Foundation’s mission to preserve, restore, enhance, and share Oakland Cemetery.
What if I want to be an artist market vendor at Sunday in the Park?
Click here for our artist market vendor application.