- This event has passed.
Spring Scramble Scavenger Hunt
March 29, 2019 - March 30, 2019
One event on March 31, 2019 at 8:00 pm
One event on April 1, 2019 at 8:00 pm
One event on April 2, 2019 at 8:00 pm
One event on April 3, 2019 at 8:00 pm
One event on April 4, 2019 at 8:00 pm
One event on April 5, 2019 at 8:00 pm
One event on April 6, 2019 at 8:00 pm
One event on April 7, 2019 at 8:00 pm
Gather a group of friends for a day of cemetery sleuthing on this self-guided scavenger hunt throughout historic Oakland Cemetery!
Purchase your Spring Scramble packet (one per team) from March 30 through April 7 at the Visitors Center & Museum Shop (open weekdays 9:00-5:00 and weekends 9:00-8:00) and follow all-new cryptic clues to solve riddles. No reservations are required to participate.
Choose from three different packets, organized by degree of cemetery riddle difficulty:
- Easy: Kid-friendly riddles and perfect for families (expected hunt time: 1 hour)
- Medium: Challenging, but not impossible to solve, riddles (Expected hunt time: 1.5-2 hours)
- Hard: Try it if you dare (Expected hunt time: 2-3 hours)
The Spring Scramble packet ($20) includes one self-guided tour map (a $5 value) that can be used on return visits.
To be eligible to win, completed answer sheets must be returned to the Visitors Center by 8 p.m. on Sunday, April 7. Teams that submit their answer sheets with all answers correct will be entered into a drawing for the following select prizes: Capturing the Spirit of Oakland Halloween tickets, Malts & Vaults of Oakland: Where Beer Meets History tickets, Love Stories of Oakland tickets, and Historic Oakland Foundation memberships. The higher the degree of difficulty, the better the prizes!
Be sure to complete the contact form in your Spring Scramble packet to ensure you’ll be contacted if you win!
All proceeds from the Spring Scramble benefit Historic Oakland Foundation’s mission to preserve, restore, enhance, and share Oakland Cemetery.
Correct Answers and Winners
Thanks to everyone who participated in our Spring Scramble Scavenger Hunt last week! Congratulations to the winners:
Easy – Lora M. and Kendra L.
Medium – Lincoln R., Queena R., and Marie M.
Hard – Rachel M., Tara S., and Wendy S.
Here are the answers:
2. 1922 (Webb Mausoleum)
3. Weeping Yaupon Holly (Ilex vomitoria ‘Pendula’)
4. April 18, 1925 (Clara Jones Black)
5. Fruitlands Nursery
6. “The Goat Man” (William Jasper Franklin)
7. Olive A. Taylor
9. Augustus Baker
10. Cincinnati, Ohio
11. “To Love, To Passion, To Deb”
12. 1882 (We will accept 1818 since the lot contained two Jasper N. Bells)
1. John and Rosamond Crowe
2. James W. Jester
3. A great citizen (Isma Dooley)
4. July 10, 1941 (Savannah Georgia Konkle)
6. Bessie Hamrick and Jessie Mayfield
7. Claude Smith
8. India (India Smith Nash)
9. Olim Wimby, France
10. Holy Ghost and the Power (Reverend William Monroe Crumley)
11. James Norris Tamminga
12. June 27, 1949 (Katherine Taylor)
1. John and Eleanor Conroy
2. April 4, 1937 (Rowena and Loderick West)
3. Ellen Hillyer Newell Bryan
4. Charles Quincy Adamson
5. Portrait artist (John Maier)
6. Kasschau, Hungary
7. Alice Maude Watson
8. January 7, 1896
9. William Stephen Walker
10. William Adolphus Moore
11. Gertrude Green
12. John Henry Logan