- This event has passed.
Run Like Hell Virtual 5K
September 27, 2020 - October 11, 2020
The largest cemetery run in the country, Run Like Hell is one of Atlanta’s favorite neighborhood 5K fundraisers, with all proceeds going to the restoration and preservation of historic Oakland Cemetery. This year’s race returns in a virtual format, with an extended run to allow for physical distancing and expanded access.
Here’s how our virtual 5K works
3. Run your virtual 5K any time between September 27 and October 11 using the IYR app to record your time. Runners can complete the 5K within Oakland’s gates or along any route that equals 5K. A suggested 5K route will be marked with signage inside the cemetery for those wanting to have the traditional Run Like Hell experience. View a suggest route map below (run twice for 5K). And check out our official Run Like Hell playlist here to help you power through your run.
All runners will receive a commemorative Run Like Hell 5K t-shirt. Runners, joggers, and walkers of all levels are welcome. Leashed dogs and strollers are always welcome in the cemetery.
4. Submit your time to the leaderboard via the IYR app by October 11. We’ll be handing out prizes for the top runners in the following categories: top female, top male, and top three overall. Here’s more info on how to submit your time.
Historic Oakland Foundation members receive $5 off their Run Like Hell entry. Contact email@example.com for the promo code to be used during online registration.
Packets include your official Run Like Hell 5K shirt, instructions to participate, and special offers from our community partners.
- Thursday, September 24, Noon – 6 p.m. at Big Peach Midtown
- Friday, September 25, Noon – 6 p.m. at Big Peach Decatur
- Packets can be shipped directly to your provided address for a $5 mailing fee
All registrations that take place after September 9 will be ineligible for in-person packet pick-up. Instead, your packet will be shipped to your provided address, and will automatically be subject to a $5 mailing fee
Limited parking is available in Oakland Cemetery’s parking lot. We also encourage you to use MARTA when visiting the site (King Memorial MARTA Station is a short walk from Oakland Cemetery).
Submitting your time
Submit your time through the official ITS YOUR RACE mobile app, which is available for both Apple and Android phones. Please follow this link for detailed information on-time submission.
All proceeds from Run Like Hell benefit Historic Oakland Foundation’s mission to preserve, restore, enhance, and share Oakland Cemetery, where Atlanta’s history comes alive.
Help us fundraise beyond the entry fee. Like everyone, HOF has been hit hard by the COVID-19 pandemic. The Foundation has been unable to hold events and tours, the Visitors Center has been shuttered, and we haven’t been able to generate the revenue that allows us to keep Oakland beautiful. As a Run Like Hell 5K fundraiser, you can help HOF raise $5,000 for general operations by donating as you complete your registration and/or by collecting sponsorships. Each registrant will be sent a personalized link to a fundraising page.
Awards will be given to the top male, female, and top three overall winners. Join Historic Oakland Cemetery on Facebook Live on October 11 at 7 PM for our virtual awards ceremony!
All registered runners will receive a commemorative Halloween-themed Run Like Hell cotton t-shirt, with the option to upgrade to performance-wear material.
Virtual Halloween Costume Contest
Get into the spirit of the season and join the Run Like Hell costume contest! Submit a photo of you running in your costume to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12:00 p.m. October 8 and we’ll post it on our Facebook for voting. Prizes will be awarded to the most creative costumes in the following categories: Best Adult Male, Best Adult Female, Best Group, and Best Dog
Snap a photo of yourself running in your Run Like Hell t-shirt and submit it to email@example.com by 5:00 PM on October 11 to be entered to win exclusive Oakland prizes! Share the photo on Instagram or Facebook with the hashtag #RunLikeHell5K and tag @oaklandcemetery to earn more entries for the drawing.