April 29, 2023 @ 7:30 pm - 10:30 pm
One event on April 21, 2023 at 7:30 pm
One event on April 22, 2023 at 7:30 pm
One event on April 23, 2023 at 7:30 pm
One event on April 27, 2023 at 7:30 pm
One event on April 28, 2023 at 7:30 pm
One event on April 29, 2023 at 7:30 pm
One event on April 30, 2023 at 7:30 pm
Illumine [verb]: Light up or brighten; enlighten (someone) spiritually or intellectually
Trees are essential to the identity, history, and landscape of historic Oakland Cemetery. From the early oaks that inspired the name and the unique tropical specimens planted during the Victorian era to the towering magnolias that provide shade for today’s visitors, critical flora and rich cultural meaning are rooted in the soil of Oakland.
Trees contribute to the ecosystem through habitat, food, and shelter and support the environmental health and biodiversity of Atlanta. They are also imbued with meaning, symbolism, and power, and incorporated into the diverse cultural and burial practices found in Oakland.
Over two weekends in April, encompassing both Earth Day and Arbor Day, Illumine 2023 will use innovative lighting, art installations, and music to shine a light on Oakland’s unique trees and their environmental, historical, social, and cultural significance.
Illumine 2023 Dates
Illumine 2023 takes place on the following evenings. Each evening of Illumine 2023 has a limited number of tickets to ensure the best experience for each visitor. Buy your tickets in advance to guarantee that you can experience Illumine 2023.
- Thursday, April 20
- Friday, April 21
- Saturday, April 22
- Sunday, April 23
- Thursday, April 27
- Friday, April 28
- Saturday, April 29
- Sunday, April 30
- Adults: $20 advance / $25 at the gate*
- Students, Children, Seniors (65+): $15 advance / $20 at the gate*
- Children 3 and Under: Free
*Plus taxes and fees
Know Before You Go
- First entry is at 7:30, but this is an evening event and you’ll be able to enter until 9:30 p.m. If you do come in before sunset, we strongly encourage you to stick around until after the sun goes down (around 8:15).
- General Admission tickets purchased at the gate are subject to a $5 walk-up fee.
- Illumine is a rain-or-shine event.
- Ticket price does not include tax or fees.
- Weapons of any kind are prohibited.
- With the exception of service animals, pets are not allowed at Illumine.
Illumine’s route covers approximately one mile of roads and historic pathways. Although there are no steps on the route, historic gutters, slopes, and brick walkways might make experiencing Illumine 2023 difficult for those with limited mobility. If you are unsure if Illumine 2023 is suitable for you, contact Sandy White at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your particular circumstances.
Questions? Email Sandy White at email@example.com.