Capturing the Spirit of Oakland Halloween Tours
October 17 @ 5:30 pm - October 27 @ 10:30 pm
Our Capturing the Spirit of Oakland Halloween Tours, which sell out every July, are a favorite autumn tradition in Atlanta.
Designed to enlighten rather than frighten, Capturing the Spirit of Oakland tours bring to life the stories of some of the cemetery’s notable residents and allow visitors to experience Oakland Cemetery after dark. A costumed docent guides you through the cemetery’s beautifully-lit Victorian Gardens where you’ll meet some of Oakland’s most notable residents. The evening also includes musical performances, and guests are encouraged to arrive in costume to set the mood.
This years’ Capturing the Spirit tours will take place the evenings of the following dates:
- October 17, 5:30 to 10:00 p.m. [Sold out]
- October 18, 5:30 to 10:30 p.m. [Sold out]
- October 19, 5:00 to 10:30 p.m. [Sold out]
- October 20, 5:00 to 10:00 p.m. [Sold out]
- October 21, 6:30 and 7:00 p.m. [VIP only]
- October 24, 5:30 to 10:00 p.m. [Sold out]
- October 25, 5:30 to 10:30 p.m. [Sold out]
- October 26, 5:00 to 10:30 p.m. [Sold out]
- October 27, 5:00 to 10:00 p.m. [Sold out]
New this year: Enjoy an exclusive, one-of-a-kind Capturing the Spirit of Oakland VIP Experience on Monday, October 21
Capturing the Spirit VIP ticket holders will enjoy a three-course meal including drinks at the Harp, an exciting new restaurant steps from Oakland’s gates. After dinner, a costumed guide will join VIP guests at the restaurant and accompany them to Oakland’s gates, where they will have the cemetery to themselves after-dark as they enjoy a private Capturing the Spirit Halloween tour experience.
What you should know about Capturing the Spirit of Oakland tours
- Tickets are limited to six per transaction. Children’s tickets are available for those ages 4-12.
- Please ensure you’ve carefully selected your preferred tour date and time before completing your transaction, as no refunds or exchanges will be issued.
- Your ticket time is the time you will be admitted into Oakland Cemetery. Once inside, you’ll have time to get a drink, use the restroom, and enjoy the entertainment before your tour begins.
- Capturing the Spirit of Oakland tours last approximately 75 minutes and depart every 15 minutes. The tour route is approximately one mile. Please anticipate that your experience in the cemetery will last at least two hours.
- Capturing the Spirit of Oakland is a rain or shine event. No refunds will be issued.
- Our limited-edition long-sleeved shirt designs change every year. Capturing the Spirit of Oakland artwork is on the front and featured residents are on the back. Order your shirt early, as we cannot guarantee availability at the event.
Keep your eyes open: Ticket holders will be sent a list of frequently asked questions in the week before the tours. This will include information about parking, dinner deals with local restaurants, and what you need to know about your experience at Oakland Cemetery.
Tickets went on sale to Historic Oakland Foundation members on July 1 and to the general public on July 15 at Eventbrite.com.
Ticket prices start at $31 for adults and $19 for children. This year, for the first time, there is tiered pricing. Tour tickets for peak times on Friday and Saturday are slightly more expensive. Ticket price includes sales tax and Eventbrite fees.
Need help? Capturing the Spirit ticketing instructions (.pdf).